Greetings my NAUW sisters. It is with a sense of humbleness and gratitude that I address you all as the South Central Section Director. I do not take this task lightly for it is never easy to be the leader of an organization, however I believe and live by Philippians 4:13 which states “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me”.
My sincere appreciation goes out to Immediate Past Sectional Director Betty Wilkerson who has been a jewel and a source of strength during this transition; Forever Emeralds, Past National Presidents, and Past Sectional Directors, Dr. Ezora Proctor and Mrs. Ollie Johnson, for your love of NAUW, your wisdom and guidance; my Lay Member, Stephanne Spikes and the entire Executive Board for your support, and acceptance of me as your leader. I thank all of you from the top of my head to the sole of my feet for your spirit of cooperation and dutifulness.
We have traveled across South Central doing the work of NAUW by means of various forms of transportation. We have used the waterways and the airways most recently. For the next two years we will hit the ground running by way of the South Central Trailblazer Bus Line. This means of transportation, while not as elaborate as the waterways and airways, will allow us to make frequent and quick stops at all of our Stations (which is our branches), continuing to not only increase membership but to cultivate, motivate and nourish what we already have so that we will continue to grow in knowledge and productivity as community servants to our youth, women and underprivileged. In an effort to meet the needs of all branches more effectively, I have, with the support of my executive staff divided South Central into Divisions. I have selected four outstanding sisters to serve as South Central Coordinators under my direction. They are Betty Wilkerson, Bridgette Winters, Reta Stewart, and Elsie Clay.
I have pondered numerous hours and days regarding my vision for South Central. A vision is where you want to be in the future while the mission is what you want to do to make that vision a reality. My vision for South Central is to “Trail blaze to the Top” of the National Association of University Women within the next five (5) years. We’re already at the top in membership now it is time for us to be at the top in LEADERSHIP. We’ve been there before, we can get there again. We have two Forever Emeralds sitting in our midst today as living witnesses to that fact.
Thank you for asking the question, how do we get there?
- Continue to work the mission of NAUW by serving women, youth, and the disadvantaged of our communities.
- Continue to increase membership –We’re headed, in the words of our awesome Lay Member, Stephanne Spikes, for the 900 Club.
- Increase participation of our youth at the branch level and sectional level – start preparing now for the Youth Conference that will be held in 2019. The Youth are our Future for NAUW.
- Continue to be visible and relevant through use of technology – we need to Market our branches. Make sure our communities know who we are and what we stand for.
- Be visible and heard at the National Convention in Los Angeles, California and return home with representation at the National Level. We have the largest membership in the National Association of University Women. There is strength in numbers, if there is unity among those numbers. We will get to the top by pulling up / lifting up. We will be a unified body at the National Convention.
In addition to Trailblazing to the Top of NAUW I would like to develop a disaster fund so that we can give immediate assistance to our members in times of disasters. I would like to accomplish this goal by challenging each branch president to ask each member to contribute $5.00 to this cause. Branches would forward this money to the Financial Secretary by January 31 of each. These funds collected will be utilized in totality for the cause of assistance during times of disasters. A committee will be formed to define disasters, amount to be given and procedures for disbursement of funds.
In conclusion my NAUW sisters I look forward to serving this great organization as we continue on the road of excellence and servitude.